Sunday 24 June 2012

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 24/06/12 - Husky, Grizzly Bear, Giant Giant Sand, The Soul Rebels Brass Band

WE LAUGH AT THE FACE OF THE BRITISH SUMMER (WELL THREE OF US DO) WHEN WE HAVE SONGS LIKE THESE TO BRING THE HEAT!




Sfw:-
Husky - History's Door (2012)





This is a track that I've had for a little while but I'd forgot to share - sorry.  Husky are a four piece and this features on their debut album forever so. With it's driving beat and a kaleidoscope-like guitar melody, it spins you round like a boomerang and keeps on coming back to you. (sorry). It so good that I'll even forgive them for being from Australia - due to the Aussies beating Wales in the Rugby!

Download "History's Door" from the SubPop Label here 

Flycasual:-
Grizzly Bear - Sleeping Ute (2012)



During one of my many daydreams at work, this Buckley-esque, psychedelic, 70's retro rock song came on the radio and that's it I was off. I'm Chuck Norris, it's 71', 'Nam, I'm at the controls of my Huey approaching the target area..."abort, abort the LZ's too hot...gaddamn it" and with my mission over, I went to the office radio (which I claimed for the morning) to see which of the Buckley's this was (maybe it's just me). But I was surprised to see that it was none other than Brooklyn's Indie/folk (if that's a fair assessment) band Grizzly Bear with this new song, 'Sleeping Ute' taken from their new album, and follow up to 2009's Veckatimest, which is out in September. A lot more electric and definitely not what I expected, especially after their songs like 'Two Weeks' and 'Knives' but excellent nonetheless. GGRRRRR!

Shell Hunter:-
The Soul Rebels Brass Band - 'Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This' (2012)


I was in my local pub the other day and normally if you visit during the afternoon, the jukebox is set to random. Not only are the songs random, but they are bloody annoying as well! You get the likes of Chas and Dave, George Fornby and really bad europop. I think it's to encourage people to put money in so they can listen to something else! On exiting I was hit by this big brass band sound....and I recognised that song! Trusty shazam helped me out and I did a little research. These guys played on Jools Holland back in November and released their album 'Unlock Your Mind' on 31st January this year. I'm sure you'll agree, their sound rocks! Their style spans soul, funk, hip hop and jazz which I'm into at the moment. It's another reason to keep going to my local, it gets me into gems like this one! Check out their site www.thesoulrebels.com for tour info and free music!

Old Pa's Corner:-
Giant Giant Sand - Forever and a Day (2012)


If you are lovers of Calexico, well this is where they learnt there trade with Giant Sand who really is the Giant Howe Gelb. Calexico's Joey Burns and John Coventino often were deep in the heart of Giant Sand's music. This is great alt Country/Mexicana music, it is a fabulous track and really is 2 tracks for the price of one with a superb break in the middle. It is taken from his new album Tucson - a Country Rock Opera (2012) . I can't wait to get this and if this is anything to go by. 'Good Luck Suckers , I'm on my way!'  to get it!
Pussy galore
More tracks of the week here...

Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 24/06/12 - Husky, Grizzly Bear, Giant Giant Sand, The Soul Rebels Brass Band
4/ 5
Oleh

5 comments

comments
avatar
24 June 2012 at 13:21

SFW - this is a great track a nice bit of Aussicana...would like to hear more!
FC - well thats 2 out of 2 this is good as well. Lots going on there!
SH - interesting, different comes to mind....would be a riot live in small doze....take me to the Wheat

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
26 June 2012 at 07:55

Husky - nice.
Grizzly Bear - very nice.
The Soul Rebels - love it. Saw them on Later and nice to hear them again. Nothing wrong with George Formby, though.
Giant Giant Sand - great.

Reply
avatar
27 June 2012 at 21:29

24/12/12?? Did I oversleep? Happy Christmas!

Grizzly Bear & Giant Giant Sand are rocking my boat this week, though the Soul Rebels were new to me and great fun!

Reply
avatar
28 June 2012 at 05:03

Whoops!!! Thanks for pointing that out....and stopping by!!

Reply
avatar
sfw
28 June 2012 at 09:01

A perfect selection of TOTW's

Reply