Thursday 12 July 2012

DYLAN COVERS #57 - Rod Stewart - Wheels on Fire/Grooms still Waiting at the Alter

You wear it well!

ROD STEWART - This Wheels on Fire



ROD STEWART - The Groom's still Waiting at the Alter

Here are a couple of Rod Stewart tracks covering Dylan. Rod has a great History of recording Dylan which goes back to his days with the Faces and even before that. Rod always had one cover of a Dylan song on all his early solo albums and he made a pretty good job of them. I have selected two here which are I suppose not so well know, as they are not on a normal release album. This version of  'Groom' is taken from a 4 CD Set called 'Sessions'  and is an alternate take from the version on the album of rare recordings on the album know as the 'lost album'  'Once in a Blue Moon' released in 2009. This also contains a 19 minute Studio Jam of 'Groom' . I have to say that I have as yet not heard these versions. But I have ordered the  CD.  

The version of 'Wheels on Fire' can also be found on 'Sessions'  and if you like Rod then this is a must. There are a few other alternative Dylan covers there as well.

For more Dylan Covers


Related Posts

DYLAN COVERS #57 - Rod Stewart - Wheels on Fire/Grooms still Waiting at the Alter
4/ 5
Oleh

3 comments

comments
avatar
Anonymous
12 July 2012 at 20:40

Yes, Rod does certainly have a fine track record of good Dylan covers - I'm talking about his early career, of course. I reckon his version of 'Tomorrow Is A Long Time' is just about definitive. I really like this take on 'This Wheel's On Fire'. Which year did he record it? I'm wondering if it was up fort serious consideration for album material.

Reply
avatar
12 July 2012 at 22:49

Good to hear Rod is still listening to Bob this late in his career. I must confess that these covers don't do it for me in quite the same way as those of his early albums though.

I'm with SB all the way regarding Tomorrow is a Long Time, with Elvis Presley's version not far behind.

Reply
avatar
13 July 2012 at 09:48

The S/SB - you are both right of course...Tomorrow is prob Rod's best cover...I did like only a Hobo and beleieve it or not his version of Love Minus Zero....Elvis version of Tomorrow featured on earlier Cover and is nothing short of immaculate. I am trying to stick to rare versions of covers rather than ones everybody knows. I don't want to make it too easy now do I?

Reply