Sunday 15 July 2012

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 15/07/12 - P.I.L., Peaking Lights, Metermaids, Blur

LIKE THE TYPHOON FLYPAST AT FARNBOROUGH, FOUR TRACKS THAT LEFT AN IMPRESSION ON US THIS WEEK...




Old Pa's Corner:-
Public Image Ltd - 'One Drop' (2012)


It was just by chance that I heard this song of PIL's new album, their first since 1997, but I am glad I did. You think of Mr Rotten these days in his check suit and running after cows and chasing busty farmers wives with his love of creepy crawlies and a certain type of butter. Slippery if you ask me!

But this is rather good with its Reggae driving beat. I have listened to the album 'This is PIL' and it is really good. The boys have definitely not lost it. Johnny has regained his cred in my book. But wait a minute half way through the video he is at it again....chasing sheep!

Get me out of heeeeeeere!

Stork or butter?

Shell Hunter:-
Blur - 'Under The Westway' (2012)


Can you believe it's been 21 years since Blur popped up onto the music scene with their catchy, easy to sing a long to ditties. They've come a long way, their sytle often changing direction here and there with Damon Albarn's clever and sometime experimental vision. This song is a very grown up Blur which I love, created especially as part of 2 new songs for the Hyde Park Olympics closing ceremony (Under The Westway and The Puritan). I can picture it playing along to a montage of winning or exasperated faces, it's got the drama! It's also got lyrics that we Londoners would appreciate, if you listen hard enough....rain, traffic, and still standing at last call!

Check out both songs live on the official website here www.blur.co.uk


Flycasual:-
Peaking Lights - 'Beautiful Son' (2012)


This is an absolute beauty of a track from Peaking Lights (I love the guitar solos), the Wisconsin based husband and wife team responsible for some serious dubbed out dreamy soundscapes and is dedicated to their one year old son. I'm not the sentimental type but as a doting dad, it's hard not to be moved by this, despite the fact that my very own 3 year old son keeps making his parents extremely grumpy by waking at 05:30 every morning....without fail. 

Peaking Lights apparently started out so they could pay for petrol to visit a musician friend in San Fransisco but their self produced, home released material has gained them many fans. Stopping at a garage on the next trip, all they'll have to worry about now is remembering the baby wipes and whose turn is it to get the crisps in. .

'Beautiful Son' is taken from the new album, Lucifer which follows on rather nicely from their equally excellent debut.

Read up some more on Peaking Lights here...


Sfw:
Metermaids - 'Graveyard Shift' (2012)



Ask anyone that knows me and they'll tell you that I wouldn't usually pick a Hip Hop track as my TOTW, but this is a tuunne!

Brooklyn duo Metermaids have created a song that feels like an Old-Skool classic with it's catchy guitar riffs sing-a-long chorus'.  It's Produced by 9th Wonder and after only a few listens feels like a one of my favourites of the year. Download it free from RCRD lbl














More tracks of the week? Click here
or subscribe to our Spotify playlist....here



Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 15/07/12 - P.I.L., Peaking Lights, Metermaids, Blur
4/ 5
Oleh

5 comments

comments
avatar
16 July 2012 at 09:36

SH - Excellent Blur song, remember Blur V Oasis...Blur have moved on.By the way that is rain from outside your window!!
FC - Its different....will need a few listens!
SFW - very un SFW like!

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
16 July 2012 at 10:23

PIL - it's always nice to hear what John is up to and this isn't bad at all. I don't accept his argument that he did the ads just to pay for a PIL album though - he's very, very rich, by all accounts. So, full of bull but always interesting.

Blur - another band that are always worth listening to. Shame they've basically knocked it on the head. This is okay. Blur vs. Oasis? What a joke. Oasis - a great debut album and some singles. Blur a whole career.

Peaking Lights - new to these ears. I'd like to hear more.

Metermaids - I'd like to know where the guitar riff is from. Good one.

Reply
avatar
sfw
16 July 2012 at 21:40

FC - Liking this
SH - Absolute Gem
Old Pa - Need to give this a few more listens, they should get some students to make their video because this one is pants.

Reply
avatar
17 July 2012 at 09:09

I too was pleasantly surprised when i first heard 'One Drop'. The album is patchy, but does contain a handful of good tunes. Lets hope PIL keep the momentum going and don't leave it quite so long for the next album.

It's be a great shame if this really is the end of Blur, I think they've just got better & better as they've matured and could now take it to some very interesting places. I love this song, but am I alone in wanting to launch into 'All the Young Dudes' at a couple of points?

The Peaking Lights track is very nice and the video is inventive, but just a little bit scary!

Sorry Sfw - you lost me with Metermaids!

Reply
avatar
20 July 2012 at 19:48

Sfw- Loving 9th Wonder, I have been a fan for awhile....a really talented DJ.

SH- 'there'll be blue skies over my city today' all the way to 'Hallelujah' at the end, definitely the theme for the Olympics or should be, love this, it has really grown on me. Damon Albarn can do no wrong apart from maybe his Dr Dee Opera.

Old Pa- I thought bloody hell what is this at first but really like it despite the 'student video' as Sfw said. The alternate Olympic theme!?

Reply