Saturday 4 August 2012

SATURDAY NIGHT JUKEBOX! - Hot Chip - 'Flutes'



Hot Chip - 'Flutes' (2012)

I joined a gym last week as I was feeling like a lazy cow and since then have remembered how much music has an influence on my performance and motivation. I have sampled numerous experimental playlists including one mainly of Rage Against the Machine and although that worked me sufficiently hard, it wasn't until I tried out Hot Chip that I realised I could work hard and it not feel like too much of an effort. The new album 'In Our Heads' has some fab gems, my top 3 being...'Motion Sickness', 'Day and Night' and my favourite 'Flutes'. 

who needs motivation when you've got a waistcoat like this

A couple of years ago, I was given the gift of a Nike + set for my iPod and read that you could save a "power song" that you could play anytime you needed it at the touch of a button. This made me laugh at the time as I imagined myself having 2 minutes left to go on my run around the block and pressing the button to have 'The Final Countdown' blaring through my earphones for the motivational sprint home. All joking aside I now know what the "power song" feels like! I was on the treadmill the other day, feeling weak and wanting to lower the speed to a boring walk. 'Flutes' started with its chanting and droning xylophone and I immediately got a boost. As it continued to build, I noticed that I was in perfect sync with the beat with my jog. When you have earphones on pretty loud, you can hear all the different layers coming in at different times and I started to concentrate on them. One was the swish of my ponytail, one was the accelerated beat of my heart, one was my breathing and of course my constant and consistent pace. It was a fabulous experience! I was actually enjoying being controlled by the music and had found a power song...all 7.05 minutes of it!

The video can get a bit sickly to watch and it doesn't do the song justice so check out the track itself  to revel (or jog) to its full and powerful glory! And for the Hot Chip fans out there, see them play Brixton Academy this October! Well worth it!!

Related Posts

SATURDAY NIGHT JUKEBOX! - Hot Chip - 'Flutes'
4/ 5
Oleh

3 comments

comments
avatar
5 August 2012 at 10:30

Great motivational post....ah! the power of music....I bet Wiggo! had the Jams greatest hits blaring while riding down the Champs Elysees!!

Reply
avatar
13 August 2012 at 17:18

A bit slow for a power song? It might make me want to skip past the finish line rather than burst through it in record time.

Reply
avatar
13 August 2012 at 18:30

Hey it's not about speed, it's about stamina and getting that 'power' when you are flagging! My pace is pretty slow so this worked a treat!

Reply