Thursday 25 October 2012

Momo Wandel Soumah - 'Toko'

World Music Corner



Momo Wandel Soumah - Toko (2000)

I heard this song on a Songlines Magazine CD compilation a few years back and it became one of my favourite all time African Blues tracks. It's from the late Momo Wandel Soumah, an African Jazz musician from Guinea known for his horn blowing skills on the Alto Sax. 

Swordfishsaxophone?
A fabulous track, it just drones along hypnotically almost at walking pace, interspersed with flute and sax breaks (which I love, as I'm a sucker for a sax, having played it badly when I was younger). But it's his growling voice which makes it so unique, almost sounding to me a like an African Tom Waits!? 

Get some more Momo here through Spotify or you could do a lot worse than to subscribe to my World Music Corner playlist. 


Related Posts

Momo Wandel Soumah - 'Toko'
4/ 5
Oleh

3 comments

comments
avatar
25 October 2012 at 11:39

Fabulous stuff flycasual. Based on 'Toko' I headed over to eMusic and downloaded two of his albums(one with the unfortunate subtitle 'African B.O.'!) and have listened to nothing else all morning. You've made my day and it's still only 11.30! Marvellous!

Reply
avatar
25 October 2012 at 17:23

Thanks S, I'm glad you liked it. I was hooked when I first heard this too, I was brilliantly bizzarre! African BO, great title.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
26 October 2012 at 08:19

Nice one. Very lazy groove. I really like the flute.

Reply