Friday 16 November 2012

DYLAN COVERS # Joe Cocker #74 - I shall Be Released/Just Like a Woman


What would you do if I sang in tune?

 
JOE COCKER - I Shall be Released(1969)

One of the most distinctive voices in rock and a voice to die for. These two Dylan classic songs are tailor made for Joe's gravelly tones. I Shall be Released is taken from his fabulous set at Woodstock in 1969. In my book he was one of the stars of that Mother of all festivals. This is a great version. There is also a fabulous version of Just like a Woman sang during the same concert.  I have gone for the studio take from Joe's A little Help from My Friends 1969 album. It is up there with the very best of the JLAW covers, maybe third behind Van Morrison and Richie Havens. But that is a matter of choice.
 
JOE COCKER - Just Like a Woman(1969)
Joe has done many great Dylan covers and I will feature some more in the future.

Related Posts

DYLAN COVERS # Joe Cocker #74 - I shall Be Released/Just Like a Woman
4/ 5
Oleh

3 comments

comments
avatar
Anonymous
16 November 2012 at 20:25

Incredible voice. Both these versions are sublime. 'I Shall Be Released' rivals The Band's version for greatness. 'Just Like A Woman' is one of the best I've heard. How come Joe Cocker lost his way?

Reply
avatar
16 November 2012 at 21:56

SB - yes 2 versions are superb....Joe got a new album out was going to check it out today....probably will be dissapointed as I was with Van's latest effort

Reply
avatar
25 November 2012 at 09:24

'I Shall Be Released' is very good, but rivaling The Band's version? Controversial SB!

Reply