Monday 4 February 2013

COVER NERD! - RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS 'HIGHER GROUND'

I still like covers a lot, and here in my bi-weekly spot I hope to share with you some of my favourites here. Tell me what you think and please feel free to submit your favourite covers by clicking here - London Scouser


Red Hot Chili Peppers - 'Higher Ground' (1989)

QUIZ NIGHT - PART 2 (for part 1, click here)

The following week I went back as a contestant along with FC, SH, OP as well as Old Ma and John who worked with OP. We didn’t do too badly overall in the quiz but weren’t the winners. However, after the main quiz they had rollover which consisted of 3 random questions that were extremely difficult. The rules stated that to take part in the rollover, at least half of your team had to have taken part the week before. Well miracle upon miracles, we won and the prize which had not been won for a really long time was in excess of £700. Just as we started celebrating, the manager came over and said that there had been a steward’s enquiry. One of the other teams had complained that we shouldn’t win as half our team hadn’t taken part in the previous week. I argued that although technically only 2 of the team had taken part, I was involved in the quiz as the host. He went away to think about it and I guess he must have been arguing with the other team. As it must have been a good 20 minutes before he finally came back and handed over the money. What a result !!!
Did We Miss The Superbowl Already ??


Due to shift work, we didn’t go back for a few weeks, but when we did we found that they had changed the rules for the rollover. You now had to go on a semi regular basis, as it was based on a league format and was won every two months by the top performing team.

As for this song, what can I say an absolutely cracking cover, in my opinion surpassing the already impressive original by Stevie Wonder. If I had to produce a list of my top 5 covers this would be there.
They are performing at Coachella in April this year along with The Stone Roses, Blur, Hot Chip & New Order to name but a small few. When the word awesome was invented, who'd have thunked it would be perfectly describing this Festival. Check out the full lineup here

NERD ALERT! - Flea & Anthony Kiedis have been in some of my favourite films (Back To The Future II & III, and Point Break respectively) but they also appeared together as a couple of rednecks in a truly awful film called The Chase (not the ITV Quiz) starring Charlie Sheen & Kristy (original Buffy) Swanson

And if you wanna subscribe to the Cover Nerd Spotify playlist, please click here


Related Posts

COVER NERD! - RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS 'HIGHER GROUND'
4/ 5
Oleh

5 comments

comments
avatar
4 February 2013 at 12:47

Ah! I remember that day oh! so well..I think we drank the winnings in celebration....Old Pa alert! ....great cover!

Reply
avatar
4 February 2013 at 15:52

One of my favourite ever songs from a great album, Mother's Milk! We won the loot but I also passed my driving test that day too. Boom!

Reply
avatar
sfw
4 February 2013 at 16:05

I love this. Reminds me when I had long hair, wore shorts with Dr Martins and thought I was in Pearl Jam

...However I am a fan of the original!

Reply
avatar
4 February 2013 at 16:09

Yeah me too, I think this might just edge it due to the riff factor.

Reply
avatar
17 February 2013 at 16:29

Great story and great cover! Love the fun-kay slap bass guitar! Is it better than the original? Hmmm

Reply