Saturday 16 February 2013

SATURDAY NIGHT JUKEBOX! - Hard-Fi - 'Living for The Weekend'




Never has a truer phrase existed than "Living for the weekend". Most of my life has been like that, through the monotony of school then getting my first full time Monday to Friday 9-5 in a courier office after finishing college. If only you could bottle that 'Friday feeling'! Hard-Fi had a belter of a first album and for me, this track stands out. I feel the need to sing it at the top of my lungs especially the excellent swearing bit. Sometimes it just needs to be said!

The Staines Massive
Even when I changed to a new cargo job at Heathrow which was 12 hour shifts doing days and nights, although it wasn't Friday I was always looking forward to, it was my days off. Driving home after that last night shift was great, I had a smile on my face. I knew that after I woke up from a few hours kip, the world was at my feet, well okay, Slough. But never the less, the time was mine and I was free from the shackles of deadlines, answering phones and to superiors! Now I'm a bit older and changed to a Flight Operations job, I still get that same smile on my face but it's normally when I'm walking into work on the last shift. I adopt the attitude, "It's my last day, throw what you can at me, bring it on!" The thing is, as luck would have it, it's usually the last shift that every thing goes wrong! 

After walking in and taking a pretty gruesome handover from my colleague the other day, I got a call from Paris asking if we could accept a diversion as Bristol airport was shut due to fog. Only being new to the role, I literally had to wing it. Panic stations! Whilst that was happening, Amsterdam were getting pelted with a snow blizzard so we had a few cancellations. "Hooray!" shout the dispatchers who were allocated those flights, "Oh shit" I cry as I know they will just upgrade the aircraft size and it will come in at last knockings, where I will be fully expected to choose someone to stay (making me the bad guy) and am stuck myself being the supervisor! Despite all these horrible irregularities, in the back of my mind I hear, "The day will come to an end, and no matter what happens, you will be enjoying a nice glass of wine at home before you go to bed, waking up to three glorious days off". It may not be the weekend but the sentiment is the same: Work hard? Play Harder!!



Subscribe to my SATURDAY NIGHT JUKEBOX Spotify playlist now!

Related Posts

SATURDAY NIGHT JUKEBOX! - Hard-Fi - 'Living for The Weekend'
4/ 5
Oleh

5 comments

comments
avatar
C
17 February 2013 at 10:26

Yes I agree - great song and a great first album too. I played it again the other day and reminded myself of just how much I love their energy.
Your job sounds very stressful - reckon you really deserve that glass of wine...
'Living For The Weekend' no longer seems relevant for me, working freelance for the last twelve years I end up working most weekends and just taking random days off when I can - all very unstructured - but funnily enough I still can't shake that special Friday night feeling (nor, unfortunately, that Monday morning feeling!)

Reply
avatar
17 February 2013 at 10:33

Great Post SH and top tune to...I agree I was exactly the same on that last day it was hit mw with anything and that last one before going on vacation well X's 10.

Reply
avatar
17 February 2013 at 17:02

My job definitely has its moments, makes me appreciate my down time all the more. Cheers C, I'll drink to that!

Reply
avatar
18 February 2013 at 10:14

"Aah shit", agreed a great song and sentiment. I really liked the debut album too, especially 'Move on Now' which was poignant for me at the time. And what about the 'Wednesday feeling' in Jeddah? With the weekends on Thurday and Friday. Back from school, roller disco or a skate and the promise of probably best pizza this side of the Kabah!! Pizza Sheikh!

Reply
avatar
18 February 2013 at 11:57

FC - I have actually prepared a post some time back with rthat exact sentiment...the song of course Kingston Town....must publish it one of these days

Reply