Sunday 24 February 2013

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 24/02/13 - Fidlar,The Pigeon Detectives, The Courteeners, Little Green Cars, Jagwar Ma

Five tracks that bailed us out this week...did you have any that freed you?



London Scouser:-
The Pigeon Detectives - 'Animal' (2013)



As previously mentioned, I think I'm turning into an old fart. I find myself listening to talkSPORT rather than xFM on my daily commute to work at Heathrow. Last Saturday I was listening to Saggers & Quinny talking about the FA Cup games being played when they mentioned that after the break they would be chatting with the lead singer of The Pigeon Detectives. It turns out that the FA have decided to have an X-Factor type sing off between a number of acts, one of whom is The Pigeon Detectives, to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the FA. Each artist will perform their track live before a game with the winner being chosen after the semi-finals. The winning track will be played as the teams walk out for the final on May 11th.
I haven't heard the other songs competing, but I really like this one. It's instantly catchy & reminiscent of the songs that started me liking them way back in good old 2006. The video is good fun, but why does it never happen to me ??. I think that I'm guilty of initially dismissing them because of their name thinking that they would be rubbish. 'I'm Not Sorry' to say I was wrong and hope that they win the competition and with it a load of new fans.
You can download the single for free at www.thepigeondetectives.com which can't be bad.

Old Pa's Corner:-
Fidlar - 'Cheap Beer' (2013)

 
I'm a beer drinker, I won't try and hide it, why should I, I love the stuff, I have always loved the stuff!  The golden amber, the frothy bubbles on the top. The anticipation of that first glutenous mouthful and the satisfaction as its friendly alcohol takes the desired effect. Beautiful!.

This one is for all my fellow beer drinking brothers out there and is by the L.A band Fidlar and is from their self titled album. It is 2:25 of highly charged, beer fuelled guitar frenzy. You might not be able to get most of the lyrics but the chorus comes out loud and clear :

'I drink cheap Beer, so what! f**k you!'    Bloody brilliant.!

The backing reminds me a little bit of The Boomtown Rat's  'Looking after Number 1'

Apparently the name Fidlar means  'F**k it, Dog, Life's a Risk'  and is a Skateboarding reference (well Flycasual/SFW, over to you). Their music is sometimes referred to 'Brain Dead Beach Punk'. I could not have said it up better!

Sfw:-
Little Green Cars - 'Harper Lee' (2013)


Little Green Cars are a Dublin based five piece that were featured on the BBC Sound of 2013 longlist.  Labelled between "Mumford & Sons and Maccabees" their sound reminds me of Granddaddy meets Band of Horses.  Good stuff.

Flycasual:-
Jagwar Ma - 'The Throw' (2013)



A few weeks ago London Scouser mentioned how the Palma Violets revived memories of the early 90's, comparing them to the Inspiral Carpets, this time it's my turn. This 'sorted' track by Aussie duo, Jagwar Ma, takes me back to that era of flowery shirts, baggy jeans and 'curtain' hairstyles of which I was guilty of on all counts. It reminds me of a cross between the early psychedelia of the Happy Mondays/Charlatans mixed with the pulsing beats of the Orb. Even the video has a definite Stone Roses feel to it 'a la' Fool's Gold and that's most definitely ok with me. A welcome sound and a trip in time I thoroughly enjoyed this week.

Shell Hunter:-
The Courteeners - 'Lose Control' (2013)


The good ol' Courteeners are back with a new album called Anna and their latest single Lose Control. I heard it a couple of times on the radio driving to work and seriously could not stop singing it all day. People must have thought I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown saying "lose control" over and over again! You have to admit it is deliciously catchy though! The Courteeners have a great few tracks under their belt, my favourites being 'That Kiss', 'Not Nineteen Forever' and this one which is set to do them justice. Their latest tour is already underway but there may still be a chance to catch them at their gig at London's Brixton Academy on 16th March. Sign up to their mailing list on their website here to keep abreast of the latest news!

Checkout previous Tracks of the week here
Listen & Subscribe to our 2013 Tracks of the Week Spotify Playlist

Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK - 24/02/13 - Fidlar,The Pigeon Detectives, The Courteeners, Little Green Cars, Jagwar Ma
4/ 5
Oleh

4 comments

comments
avatar
25 February 2013 at 11:06

LS - will have to keep ear/eye on the others...I agree nothing like that has happened to me...the nearest was the public bar in Black Bobs in Hayes...some drunk guy whipped down his shorts and showed his bits...I almost fell into my pint.
SFW - I like this one...one to watch I would say
FC - good descriptiion you get all the references, I like this too
SH - well I must say I enjoyed all the tracks this week...I have lost control again!

Reply
avatar
sfw
26 February 2013 at 11:37

OP - Beer is good
LS - like it
FC - Transports me back to 1990
SH - Catchy

Reply
avatar
27 February 2013 at 16:45

SFW - Deffo get the Grandaddy feel, I like this a lot. I hope the rest of their stuff is as good
FC - I like the 90's for it's music but not the flowery shirts, thankfully mine have long since gone. I like this one, and the singer looks like the offspring of Bez & Brownie !!
SH - Another great Courteeners track, very under-rated band IMO
OPC - What can I say, I like cheap beer, but not so keen on this particular one. Maybe it's not cheap enough for me.

And the winner is... Little Green Cars

Reply
avatar
7 March 2013 at 14:42

LS, Not my bag but it does make we want to go to the pub. It does remind me of a jaunt at Pat's Bar in Spain where it's full of pissants. This drunk German woman wanted to speak to me about Lufthansa?! She beckoned me over to her table where she was sat on her own, she then got sidetracked by somebody else with another conversation and got up and left me on my own like an arse.

Old Pa, Love this...a bit like Dead Kennedy's. I hope the bloke in the video doesn't pay me a visit as I'm a bit partial to specialty Belgian beers.

Sfw, really good...I didn't think I'd like this but love the harmonies.

SH, This is another top track, it took me a couple of listens but it hooked me fo sho'.

Reply