Thursday 7 March 2013

DYLAN COVERS #90 Lisa Hannigan/Nina Simone - Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

I'm Lisa Hannigan and i'm lost in the rain

 
LISA HANNIGAN - Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues (2008)

This is just fabulous song, it is Dylan at his street poetry best. It is just cool personified. Both these covers are truly magnificent. The Nina Simone's version is one of my favourites, it is a slowed down and world weary. I did not think it could be improved but this version by Lisa Hannigan, clearly influenced by Nina is not to shabby either. It was a joy to hear it.

The Lisa Hannigan take was recorded in Dick Macs, Dingle Pub in County Kerry, S.W. Ireland,. on 16th June 2008. The Nina Simone version was first released on her To Love Somebody album in 1969. It can still be found on various Best Of's, and rightly so.


 
NINA SIMONE - Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues(1969)

Related Posts

DYLAN COVERS #90 Lisa Hannigan/Nina Simone - Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues
4/ 5
Oleh

8 comments

comments
avatar
Anonymous
8 March 2013 at 07:46

Nina's version has for a log time been one of my favourite Dylan covers. She was supreme. Er...the Lisa Hannigan appears to be something else all together, sir.

Reply
avatar
8 March 2013 at 09:04

SB - Nina's version I agree is up there with the best Dylan covers...I quite like the Lisa one or maybe I am being influenced by the innocent smile of the pic.

Reply
avatar
8 March 2013 at 09:38

I've never heard of Lisa Hannigan, but I enjoyed her stripped back take - diggin' that xylophone! And Nina? Stupendous.

Reply
avatar
8 March 2013 at 10:40

TS - You have still got the eye?

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
8 March 2013 at 12:56

What I meant was...is who's Hey Ocean!?

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
8 March 2013 at 15:08

The video that I can see for Lisa Hannigan is actually a group called Hey Ocean! covering The Arcade Fire. Can no one else see this? Spooky.

Reply
avatar
8 March 2013 at 15:24

SB - Just checked again seems OK...but when it finished it went on to another different song by someone else. May be paart of a playlist...very odd!

Reply