Monday 3 June 2013

COVER NERD! - Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Born To Run

I know you've missed me, but I'm back and this week I have a corker of a cover (try saying that after a few drinks). If you have a favourite cover, please contact us and tell us why by clicking here


Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Born To Run (1984)


Back when Frankie Goes To Hollywood first burst onto the scene in the early 80's I was a young lad, and wasn't very clued up on innuendo and naughtiness so when I saw the poster for their single Relax, I didn't really think too much of it. I do however vividly remember seeing it when I went on a school trip to London to visit the British Telecom Museum (did I know how to live or what). There were loads of posters up everywhere, what must the BBC's Mike Read have thought !!
Is this controversial ??
My brother got the album Welcome To The Pleasuredome for Christmas in 1984 and I remember listening to it and loving Born To Run. It wasn't  until years later I found out it was a cover. Even then I was a covers fan, without really knowing it !!!
Coo-eee, wanna watch a video with me ??
My other memory of the band from back in the beginning was when the video for Two Tribes was banned for god only knows what reason. Maybe that's where Mike Tyson got the idea to bite Evander Holyfield's ear off. One day at school I felt like I was the luckiest person in the world. I was probably only in the 2nd or 3rd year of seniors when I got invited (I don't know by who but who cares !!) into the 6th form common room. This was totally unheard of, and to us lowly non 6th formers, it was like getting into Fort Knox or Hugh Hefner's pad. When you saw the inside of the common room, you were accepted, you were cool, you were hanging out with the big boys instead of being ignored. Looking back now it could almost be a little suspect. A 12 or 13 year old boy being invited by a 17 year old to watch a banned video in a darkened room at an all boys school but I'll be buggered if it worried me then. Watching it now it seems very tame, my how the times have changed


NERD ALERT! - At the height of their fame, they featured in their very own computer game, which I bought and played (only once if I remember, as it was a bit pants) on my spectrum.

Check out my other Covers here

Also you can listen to or subscribe to my Spotify playlist by clicking here

Related Posts

COVER NERD! - Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Born To Run
4/ 5
Oleh

2 comments

comments
avatar
Anonymous
3 June 2013 at 07:34

Always thought this was one of Frankie's best moments, along with 'Two Tribes'. Nice. I expect they were being a bit tongue in cheek but it works whatever way you take it (innuendo NOT intended).

Reply
avatar
4 June 2013 at 10:31

Cant remember the track but it is good....is that a little fraudian slit you put in there. Great post!

Reply