Tuesday 4 June 2013

TUESDAY BLUES!! Evening Hymns - You and Jake

Do you like Singer/Songwriters, or do you have a unhealthy affection to the sadness, if so you may have a case of the Tuesday Blues!


Evening Hymns - You and Jake (2012)
I've been away for a while and thought that this would be a perfect 'downer' for a Tuesday (Then again, returning to work after a couple of weeks in Thailand doesn't give me 'happy thoughts').

'You and Jake', features on Evening Hymns 2012 album, Spectral Dusk and is a recent musical discovery that i've been kicking myself that I've never heard before.  It is one of many personal, emotive, heartfelt songs that singer/songwriter Jonas Bonnetta has written in tribute to his late father.   I read this and I wanted to sob:-

"This is one of the first songs that I wrote for Spectral Dusk and it was a turning point for deciding how personal I wanted to get with this record. Jake is my younger brother and Dad and him had a pretty amazing relationship. After Dad passed away, I went through a bunch of his stuff and found all these receipts he had kept from coffee shops and breakfast places and I had these strong images of him and Jake going out for coffee or breakfast before going to work on the sawmill for the day. The two of them always scheming a trip north to the moose hunting camp or dreaming of something. I’ve liked this idea of Dad still being here guiding me by setting a precedent in how he lived his own life. As if although he is gone, he is still there teaching me how to be a better man." 

Such a great song - Tuesdays are sad again!!

Subscribe to the Spotify playlist and read more Tuesday Blues here!

Related Posts

TUESDAY BLUES!! Evening Hymns - You and Jake
4/ 5
Oleh

2 comments

comments
avatar
4 June 2013 at 13:02

New to me and really lovely. Sad, yes, but also celebratory. I've played this several times and now I'm heading over to Evening Hymns' Bandcamp page to check out the rest of the album. Thanks for the intro.

Reply
avatar
sfw
4 June 2013 at 13:54

Thanks Mr Swede. I agree with the 'sad but celebratory' comment. I've been listening to the Album quite a bit and it's a good one. Ta!

Reply