Wednesday 4 December 2013

Wilco - 'Handshake Drugs'

Musical Medicine...a track that's like Houmous for the soul!

 
Wilco - 'Handshake Drugs' (2004)
 

"I was chewing gum for something to do"

A Wilco stunner and one track I never tire of hearing, taken from their excellent 2004 album, A Ghost is Born. It's been awhile since I heard this gem and bizarrely, it's all due to a book I found by Team Bush and co's favourite political analyst, Noam Chomsky. Not my usual choice of reading material but you find all sorts the airport, Interventions is a collection of essays on American foreign policy, notably the dubious reasons for waging war in Iraq. This in turn reminded me of 'iffy' Iraq war drama, Over There, which I used to watch back in 2005, the soundtrack was particularly ropey but I almost choked on my houmous when, on one episode, it featured 'Handshake Drugs'. A sterling if a little peculiar choice to be blasting that song out of your Humvee whilst cruising around Anbar province's 'Triangle of Death', I wonder what Jeff Tweedy made of it. Strange how the mind associates stuff.

 

 

Related Posts

Wilco - 'Handshake Drugs'
4/ 5
Oleh

2 comments

comments
avatar
7 December 2013 at 13:04

Great track by the Tweed...I almost choked on my skordalia.

Reply
avatar
10 December 2013 at 17:05

What a great band Wilco are. I hadn't seen this performance before - fantastic. Thanks for digging it out.

Reply