Thursday 9 January 2014

The Goats - 'Typical American'/'RU Down Wit Da Goats?'


Hip Hop Classics
.....Straight outta Surrey Heath y'all!


Not a fan of Bush...



The Goats - 'Typical American' (1992)

It's 1992, in between cramming hard for my A-levels and taking numerous breaks playing rummy with my sister and girlfriend, I was listening to the underrated debut album from The Goats, Tricks of the Shade. It was a real favourite of mine at the time, reminiscent of the fun of De La Soul's debut album, 3 Feet High and Rising, with it's witty rhymes interspersed with skits but with a ruthless political sentiment.

'Typical American' was a particular highlight and apart from Old Pa saying that the bassline reminded him of the Eagles ('One of these Nights', I'm not sure if it's an actual sample) it used to amuse me as it really riled one of my American friends. He used to snap at me, "yeah, well at least I'm not a typical Brit!", which never made any sense, as it wasn't me highlighting stereotypes in the US but his fellow Americans. Anyway it's a very endearing quality to be able to poke fun at yourself.


The Goats were a trio hailing from Philadelphia and were perhaps the first 'live' Hip Hop band, they unfortunately only graced us with two albums, Tricks of the Shade and No Goats, No Glory in 1994. Various members of the group are still active with different musical projects, founding member Oatie heads a Swing Hop outfit with 3 albums under their belts called Jimmy Luxury (see website here). Lyricist, Madd is part of a band called Black Landlord which won Philly's band of the year in 2009 (listen to a track here on Spotify). And MC, Swayzak also fronted a band called Incognegro.

Both albums have since been out of print but you can download them from The Goats official site here.

You'll be pleased to know that I got a B in Geography and a C in French, scaling the dizzy heights of academic stardom.


The Goats - 'RU Down Wit Da Goats? (1992)

"Hoooh yeah we're the Goats"

Great 'lost' footage of a drunken performance, which looks like it was taken in a middle of a heatwave, of another classic from the debut album.



Ah to da beat ch'all...more TuneDr Hip Hop Classic posts or listen/subscribe to our playlist below...


Related Posts

The Goats - 'Typical American'/'RU Down Wit Da Goats?'
4/ 5
Oleh

4 comments

comments
avatar
9 January 2014 at 19:58

Blimey, I'd forgotten all about these guys. I used to own this album. Come to think of it, I might still have it in a box somewhere. All my CD's are still packed from our move 2 years ago! Still sounds great!

Reply
avatar
sfw
14 January 2014 at 21:26

FC - I'd forgotten about this also. Tune!

Reply
avatar
15 January 2014 at 14:58

I'll be honest that I didn't think I knew this track, but as soon as the chorus came in, I was singing along like I was from Philly y'all.
I must have heard it during one of the many latenight 'conservatory sessions'
I agree with The Eagles comparison too

Reply
avatar
17 January 2014 at 10:14

See what you mean by the Eagles into whuch runs thru....could be a sample.
You must have been a 'kid' when this was out.

Reply