Wednesday 1 October 2014

Five Finger Death Punch - White Knuckle

OLD PA'S WEDNESDAY CLUB

GYPSY DAVE

A Bloody Nose

FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH - White Knuckle

I don't know how old I was,  maybe 7 or 8,  but I was the best fighter of my year,  I was also the best runner and jumper. At that age you have no concept of  big fishes in  little ponds. You only knew your own world and I was King of that world.

One day a new boy was introduced to our class, he was a Gypsy and his name was Dave. Gypsys often came and went in our school, as was their nature. This boy was older than the rest of us and was at least a foot taller than me. I felt threatened for the first time in my life.

He eventually found out that I was the best fighter and  challenged me to a showdown at play time the next day.

I may have been the best fighter,  but I was a very scared best fighter. I was terrified and knew I did not stand a chance. Maybe he would injure me badly or even kill me. I had no way out,  I had no where to hide. I could not show I was scared or show any sign of weakness.

The bell rang and we all went to the playground, there was a great rush of excitement, the crowd could sense something was going to happen, they sensed blood. All I could hear was the shouting of fight!  fight!.

We squared up to each other fists raised, a few shadow blows were thrown, but nothing landed. Suddenly I just swung a punch and it landed square on his nose and blood spurted out everywhere and it just would not stop. That was it, it was over that quickly. Teachers came out, the nurse came out. To his credit he told the teachers that he fell. Must have been part of the Gypsy code.

We later became good friends and forgot all about our fight.

Unfortunately for me, my reputation as the best fighter in the Central School stuck and when I went to the Senior school at the age of 12, there were several hungry fighters waiting for me, especially Ivor Jones from  down the Ferry! and Duncan MacIver from Dalneigh. But these are other stories. Other battles.    

 
FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH - White Knuckle (live)

Related Posts

Five Finger Death Punch - White Knuckle
4/ 5
Oleh

3 comments

comments
avatar
1 October 2014 at 10:45

The playground hierarchy, I remember it well. I was a big tall lad, so everyone assumed that I was well 'ard, whereas in reality I was well timid and would steer clear of any potential confrontation. That being said, I'd gladly take a punch on the nose from a young Old Pa if it meant never having to hear Five Finger Death Punch again!

Reply
avatar
1 October 2014 at 11:03

TS - ha! ha! ha! I have to agree but I could not resist it. I turned into more a lover than a fighter...but nowadays I don't think i am any of these two.

Reply
avatar
1 October 2014 at 11:16

What a racket! Love it...."Ivor Jones from down the Ferry! and Duncan MacIver from Dalneigh". A scared best fighter eh? I had probably one memorable fight (I should do a post probably). Being a tease, I mimicked the squeaky voice of school bully one morning. Unimpressed he said "I'll see you off the bus". But he doesn't even live near me, if he wanted to fight me, he'd have to incovenience himself. I hoped he would eventually forget during the course of the day. He didn't and I got floored...there's probably a moral here about running your mouth off.

Reply