Wednesday 10 December 2014

Charles and Eddie - Shine/Bob Dylan - Desolation Row

OLD PA'S WEDNESDAY CLUB

HIS 'N HERS : A DECLARATION

PERFECT!  maybe! a little art!

 
CHARLES AND EDDIE - Shine (1992)

When you get my age you start to think about what songs you would like to be played at your funeral. It has to be something that all the good folks attending the event will identify as 'what you are about' and it will have them immediately burst into floods of tears. (well if the like you)

How many Funerals Parlorus have probably a cynical playlist at hand and will contain the obvious contenders,  Endless Love,  Angels,  My Heart will Go On and on and on and of course for heavy metal dudes Highway to Hell. You old Punks out there, well it would not be correct if you did not have something like Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll or maybe Garry Gilmour's Eyes.

For Old Ma, there is only one that stands out and that  is Shine by Charles and Eddie. She loves the song and it has I suppose become 'our' song and I do have to say, it describes her pretty well (most of the time).

For me well the obvious choices would be All Along the Watchtower or Into The Mystic. I know a lot of people do not like Dylan so I think I have almost decided on Desolation Row as it goes on for over 11 minutes and all these Dylan haters, would have to sit through and listen to the whole song. I would be lying in my coffin with a little grin on my face.

Talking about coffins, I want one of theses cardboard affairs, nice and cheap. Like the one shown on the pic. Maybe a little art, the Love Logo (Arthur Lee Love) or the Dylan Eye Logo. No brass handles please or expensive wood. After all, the dam thing is going to burned along with me anyway. I do not want anybody there accept my very immediately family. (well I don't have any friends anyway).

I want my ashes to be mixed with Old Ma's and a boat hired and throw the ashes into the Mediterranean.

It would be a great boat trip out. You no what I mean, a bit of an event. I will pay for the drinks and nibbles. (if there is anything left)

For my second song, well lets leave that one for a surprise. See you there folks! and dont forget, I will be watching you!
 
BOB DYLAN - Desolation Row (1965)

Related Posts

Charles and Eddie - Shine/Bob Dylan - Desolation Row
4/ 5
Oleh

7 comments

comments
avatar
10 December 2014 at 06:27

Don't tell me Old Pa, your second song is either 'Tempest' or 'Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands'! I love the idea of making the non-Dylan fans suffer! I read somewhere that the world's favourite funeral song is currently 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life'.
I've got one in mind for my own big day and I'll be revealing what it is as part of a Desert Island Discs series I'm preparing for the new year.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
10 December 2014 at 07:50

Nice choices both. Shame 'Desolation Row' isn't 10 minutes longer. I've never got around to thinking about it but I suppose it's worrying if you end up trusting someone else to do the job! I have always thought that Queen's 'Don't Stop Me Now' might be good for a cremation.

Reply
avatar
10 December 2014 at 09:06

I'm pretty sure that C did a post on this subject a while back, where she claimed Mr SDS's choice was 'The Laughing Policeman'! I think I left a comment to the effect that Presley's 'Burning Love' would be another good option, particularly for a cremation.

Reply
avatar
10 December 2014 at 10:10

TS - Laughing Police Man...Love it. Maybe - Donald where yer Troosers. Or His Latest Flame another from Elvis...you could think of some good one given time!

Reply
avatar
C
10 December 2014 at 17:56

Haha, yes, TS, that's right - and I'm afraid it seems The Laughing Policeman is still at the top of Mr SDS' list...

I like the sound of your funeral plans, Old Pa (which seems like a morbid thing to say but indeed something everyone must think about from time to time), especially your arty cardboard coffin. Perhaps everyone could contribute a little something to it - a bit like having a plaster cast? - doodles, drawings, dirty jokes - you'd have something to read while you're waiting...

Reply
avatar
11 December 2014 at 10:51

C - I think we have just made our fortune....we should take out a patent immediately. A simple buget disposable coffin, which you can personalise. Like as you say like a plaster cast. Simple and brilliant. I recon it would go down a storm.

Reply
avatar
13 December 2014 at 10:03

This is handy, let me bookmark this for future reference. Is there something you're not telling us.

Reply