Wednesday 3 December 2014

TOM PAXTON - My Lady Is A High Wild Dove/Can't Help But Wonder?

OLD PA'S WEDNESDAY CLUB

Do you remember your first time?

A Trident 1


 
TOM PAXTON - My Lady's A Wild Flying Dove (1964)

We all remember our first time, don't we ? I suppose it is a landmark in anybody's life. I remember my first flight as if it was yesterday. Because it was my first flight I suppose that is why I remember it.

It was not the only first that week-end. It was also the first time I had crossed the border into England. The first time I actually left Scotland and I was 21 years of age.

I was visiting my girl friend who had recently started as a ground Ground Hostess with British Airways and as a birthday treat she bought me a ticket for a flight from London to Manchester. We would take the flight and get the train back to London. To be quite honest I do not remember too much about it. I know the Aircraft was a Trident 1 and I do remember being very excited at the time. But the whole significance was, really it was just my first time.

Do you remember your first time?
  
 
TOM PAXTON - I Can't Help Wonder Where I am Bound (1964)

In 1964 Tom Paxton was a Great Contender but never really followed up the Fabulous Ramblin' Boy album. 

Related Posts

TOM PAXTON - My Lady Is A High Wild Dove/Can't Help But Wonder?
4/ 5
Oleh

6 comments

comments
avatar
C
3 December 2014 at 14:30

How many flights do you think you've clocked up since then? I imagine it's a fair few!

I never thought I'd fly - until I got a chance I couldn't refuse - a free weekend in New York courtesy of the company I worked for (and Virgin Airlines). I was so excited... and absolutely loved the experience...it seemed so magical I felt like a child again even though I was 29!

Reply
avatar
3 December 2014 at 15:07

C - i bet you had a great time...New York is a great place for a short break and 'do' the sites. I have worked for airlines most of my life since that first flight...I could not count the number of flights...just remember the ones like that first one that standout.

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
3 December 2014 at 20:28

May I state publicly that I am one of those who just don't like flying? I have been in a plane a total of four times in my life and have no plans to add to that number. Yes, I do wish I felt otherwise but there it is. I expect I've stopped my family from travelling as much as we might have done. I feel rotten about it. Tom Paxton has a really nice voice, doesn't he?

Reply
avatar
sfw
3 December 2014 at 21:45

It's sad that I cannot remember my "first time" - probably because I was so young and that flying was always a part of my life. I remember my last one though - air France from Cuba and having "bad weather" - it shook the plane for about 5 hours - however it rocked me to sleep - nice tune

Reply
avatar
5 December 2014 at 09:38

I didn't fly until I was in my early 30s and thereafter flew a lot throughout the 1990s and 2000s. I started off nervous, but grew in confidence after a couple of flights, then had a bad one which knocked my confidence for six. I had to virtually drink myself into unconsciousness to get on the plane for my next few trips. It got easier, but I haven't flown since 2010.

Reply
avatar
5 December 2014 at 10:56

TS - i always love to have a few when flying...maybe the whole atmosphere helped the 'high' so to speak...do not drink much on planes now 'tho.

Reply