Tuesday 10 March 2015

UB40 - Don't Slow Down

OLD PA'S WEDNESDAYS CLUB

POT LUCK - 2!

 
'Helo Mate!...she is upstairs!

UB40 - I Won't Slow Down (extended version) (1981)

This is the second in the series where I pick a number and I find the corresponing song on a list of 'My All Times Greats File' (my choices of course). The intention is to see if I can do a Post about that song.

Good choice Old Pa, UB40s Don't Slow (Down Extended Version)

A few weeks back I did a post about UB40 and Ally Campbell's version of Dylan's, I want You. Maybe I did them a little dis-service. But a great thing about doing posts is that you somtimes get the odd comment that counts.. (You don't get many, I hasten to add), But I got a comment that mentioned Present Arms (1981),  UB40's second album and I got a flood of emotions and visions thinking about that album.

It reminded me of so much!.

looking forward to their follow up album to Signing On and not being disappointed  (is that a first). Making up a compilation tape and being happy when this came on. Being in Nice in Old Ma's,  Mum's flat with a glass of local Vino in hand after being at the Jockey Club (a local bar) and leaving behind the 5 plastic shopping bags from the local supermarket.


But we were 'Starriyed and Laughing' . It was not the end of the World!.

We were happy,  Flycasual was happy, an ice cream cone in his hands.

I have probably got that tape somewhere, somewhere!

 A happy tape!

Good times.Thank You UB40 for the memory.

Related Posts

UB40 - Don't Slow Down
4/ 5
Oleh

5 comments

comments
avatar
10 March 2015 at 13:12

It's a good idea this...great track, you can't beat early UB40 and happy memories to boot. What with the grim reaper? Happy memories gone by?

Reply
avatar
11 March 2015 at 09:04

Great post Old Pa. It's amazing how a simple piece of music can trigger such precise, intimate memories from so long ago. How does that happen? Why doesn't it happen more often? We'll never know I suppose. Good tune from early UB40.

Reply
avatar
11 March 2015 at 09:06

(P.S. Good to see you back on the blog. I hope you and the family are all doing ok.)

Reply
avatar
11 March 2015 at 10:19

TS - thanks and great to be back almost to normal, awaiting Shellhunter have baby any day now and going over end of next week to UK again.

Reply
avatar
12 March 2015 at 08:55

I like this idea too. A great way to jog your memory! You forgetting the shopping in the supermarket is not an isolated incident though!
I didn't think I knew this song by after it started it made me feel very nostalgic. You must have either put it on another tape or played the same tape when I was young too. I must listen to their old stuff again, you can't knock it! And yeah, what's the grim reaper about??

Reply