Sunday 7 February 2016

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 07/02/2016 - PJ Harvey, Savages, Fadoul, The Nevermen,


TRACKS OF THE WEEK



London Scouser:-
The Nevermen - 'Tough Towns' (2016)

If you read that a song started off (to me anyway) sounding like early Massive Attack with a little Elbow in the middle and finishing with Faith No More you may think one of two things... Either 'Wow' or 'Eurgh' I promise you that this is most definitely the former. I was almost a little disappointed when I googled them and found that they are a supergroup consisting of 'TV On The Radio's' Tunde, Doseone & Mike Patton... Only disappointed because I hadn't unearthed a new treasure !!! I'll finish by saying one word - #awesometrack 


Sfw:-
PJ Harvey - The Wheel (2016)

Polly Jean is back with The Wheel which was recorded in full view of the public in a specially constructed basement studio in Somerset House, London in 2015. Inspired by her time spent in Kosovo between 2011 and 2015, The Wheel has the feel of a classic PJ Harvey track and I bloody love it.  It features on The Hope Six Demolition Project, out April 15th.

Old Pa's Corner:-
Savages - Adore (2016)

 

I simply adore this one by the 'Savages', tremendous haunting backing and as for the vocal, If you did not know, you would swear it was Patti Smith. The track is from their album jujs released 'Adore Life' I am listening to the album as I write this. I am impressed to say the least.


Flycasual:-
Fadoul - 'Sid Redad' (1971)

'Papa's got a brand new Bag-hdad'....sorry, that was pathetic really, especially considering Fadoul hails from Casablanca, Morocco. I completely fell in love with this the moment I heard it. A raw, Arabic funk cover of the James Brown classic, delivered with such attitude and musical aplomb that it deserves to be heard. However this was first recorded some forty years ago, back in 1971 and was recently discovered by chance. Jakarta records owner was taking some time off during a gig by wandering the side streets in Casablanca where he came across an electronic shop which also happened to have old records. He acquired Fadoul's Sid Redad, as it mentioned James Brown and was captivated with what he heard but nobody seem to know who or where he was. Over two years of investigation he managed to track down Fadoul's family who recounted, with fondness, his time in the Moroccan music scene and kindly agreed to re-release his debut album, Al Zman Saib. Fadoul passed away in 1991, aged only 50. A chance discovery and quite literally a hidden gem of a record. 


Subscribe/listen to our Tracks of the Week. Click here.

Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 07/02/2016 - PJ Harvey, Savages, Fadoul, The Nevermen,
4/ 5
Oleh

2 comments

comments
avatar
9 February 2016 at 12:02

The Nevermen. Blimey, there's a lot going on here! Bold choice as a lead track/single. I'm intrigued to hear more.

PJ Harvey. This will surely be one of the albums of 2016. Excellent.

Savages. I can't say that I like every thing by this band, but 'Adore' is very good indeed. Haunting, absolutely.

Fadoul. Cerys has played this a couple of times, Fabulous stuff.

Reply
avatar
23 February 2016 at 15:42

LS, I was equally excited when I heard your above description and immediately listen to the album. I must say it was a bit disappointing, although Tough Towns is not bad, I think it suffers from a conflict of too many creative minds. Like the Swede says there's alot going on here.

Sfw, I love a good clap in a song, a soul clap, Flamenco, whatever. This is really good, on my list to listen again.

Old Pa, pretty impressive stuff, not only Patti Smith but Sinead O'Connor and Morrissey!? Either way, it's all good!

Reply