Wednesday 23 March 2016

R.I.P. - Phife Dawg

RIP - Phife Dawg


A Tribe Called Quest - 'Oh My God' (1993)

Malik Isaac Taylor (aka Phife Dawg) November 20, 1970 – March 22, 2016

Without doubt, A Tribe Called Quest are one of my all time favourite groups. Their beats, witty rhymes and pioneering jazz style made them so fun, unique and infectious. Guaranteed to get my head bobbing every time. But it was the chemistry and world interplay between Phife and Q-Tip that made them standout over their peers. He was the perfect foil to Q-Tip, their styles contrasting due to his distinct vocal delivery, Hip Hop's veritable Lennon and McCartney.

On the single, 'Oh My God' taken from their third album, Midnight Marauders, he referred himself as the funky diabetic, being diagnosed with type 2 back in 1990. He battled the illness throughout and had a kidney transplant from his wife in 2008 but still struggled with the affliction. He died in the early hours of Wednesday, March 23rd....to me and amongst many in the Hip Hop community, he will always be 'on point'. RIP Phife Dawg

By Flycasual

Related Posts

R.I.P. - Phife Dawg
4/ 5
Oleh