Sunday 29 May 2016

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 29-05-2016 - Afro Celt Sound System, DJ Ali B x Jungle Brothers, Radiohead


TRACKS OF THE WEEK





Old Pa :-
Afro Celt Sound System - The Soul of a Sister

 
Here is a great track from Afro Celt Sound System. I was quite into them when they first came out in the mid nineties. For some reason I just forgot about them until I heard this track. In have skipped through the album and it sounds a big return to form. It is number one priority on my playlist, on my new system, on my new car. I did tell you I got a new car?. Oh! I didn't....well...

Flycasual:-
DJ Ali B x Jungle Brothers - Gimme That (Edit) -  (2016)

This is hands down, the best Hip Hop track I've heard in years. Effortlessly capturing that old school vibe with that stripped down funky drum and bass and of course The Jungle Brother's very own Baby Bam providing the flawless rhyme. UK producer/DJ Ali B is responsible for putting this absolute gem together but it has been so hard trying to get hold of it. I've been meaning to post this since I first heard it about 6 weeks ago but I couldn't find it anywhere, scouring through the obvious and not so obvious channels, in the hope that I may catch it somewhere. I even contacted DJ Ali B and he assured me it will be released soon. Was it clever Marketing? It was strange, as it felt like it did when I was growing up, where you'd hear a song on the radio and you'd make it your life's work to try and track it down. Waiting by the radio in the hope that it gets played again, snatching a copy of it on tape, only for it to be ruined by a talking DJ. A bit like that, yes, then doubting whether the track is actually worth the fuss when you hear it again. Well it is....pure dopness! 


Sfw:-
Radiohead - Daydreaming (2016)

I have been listening to A Moon Shaped Pool constantly since it "dropped" (I am SO street) three weeks ago.  The album is like a magnificent dream.  It is eerie, choral, melodic and "the guitars sound like pianos, the pianos sound like guitars, and the mixes breathe with pastoral calm."

The last Radiohead album that got me this excited was 2007's In Rainbows,  although after listening to Spectre I just knew that it would be worth buying the album. 10/10


Subscribe/listen to our Tracks of the Week. Click here.

Related Posts

TRACKS OF THE WEEK 29-05-2016 - Afro Celt Sound System, DJ Ali B x Jungle Brothers, Radiohead
4/ 5
Oleh

2 comments

comments
avatar
7 June 2016 at 10:46

FC - definately that old skool feel. Always liked the JBs
SFW - like you I have been listening to the new one. it improves with each listen. Are radiohead the new Pink Floyd?.

Reply
avatar
sfw
7 June 2016 at 13:08

FC - Old Skool magic. Nice
OP - You are a giver. I'd never had listened to this, nice.

OP - You are right, very Pink Floyd.

Reply