Wednesday 22 March 2017

Johnny Cash/Kris Kristofferson - Sunday Morning Coming Down

WEDNESDAY CLUB

A GOOD ONE
I CHECKED MY HAT



A GOOD ONE

Suddenly lying in bed I thought of the line  'put down your roots and anchor down'  and I liked it. The little story developed pretty quickly, I got up switched on the PC, got it down before I forgot. It was really just the one take with a few small amendments. I am not sure if Hank meant Honky Tonking to mean what's in the story, but I just know he would approve.

A GOOD ONE

It's a long drive from Austin Texas
heading down for the coast
so I stopped for some refreshment
I checked my hat
and headed into a bar
it was dark coming from the sun light
the juke box was playing
some sad old country tune
I asked the barman for some whiskey
and a half beer to chase it down
out of the corner of my eye
next to me was an old guy
staring deep into his beer
he turned to me and said

if your luck finds a bad one
put on your boots and move on out
but if your luck finds a good one
put down your roots and anchor down

hey old man what's your story?
and this is what he said to me
I was married 30 years to Joney
and Joney was a good one
the best thing that ever happened to me
one day I went Honky Tonking
and she found out my cheating ways
she kicked me out from our home
and never wanted to see me again
so I hit the bottle and hit the bars
I'll tell you my friend
it's a long way down

I turned to get my drinks refreshed
and when I looked the old man was gone
was he a vision or my imagination
I know it's hard to believe this tale
but I never forgot his words of wisdom
and if I ever was near to Honky Tonking
I remembered his story well
and it stopped me crossing that fiery line

so if your luck finds you a good one
put down your roots and anchor down

and if you ever want to go Honky Tonking
make sure you cover all your tracks
make sure she doesn't find you cheating
or it won't be long before you're in a bar
staring in to your beer
and telling some other stranger
your sad and desperate tale

so if your luck finds you a good one
put down your roots and anchor down

Related Posts

Johnny Cash/Kris Kristofferson - Sunday Morning Coming Down
4/ 5
Oleh

1 comments:

comments
avatar
25 March 2017 at 15:16

Just don't Honky Tonk, simples. Great ditty, I think Hank may have approved.

Reply